BellSong

As for me and my blog, we will serve the Lord!

April 16, 2006

The 6-year-old mind

My Christian friends MIGHT, although probably not, be surprised to see my music collection. In amongst the Casting Crowns, Third Day and PFR, there's a few holdovers from my youth: Judas Priest, Pink Floyd, UFO, Frank Zappa. For those less 70-80's musically inclined, these would be bands categorized by some as secular for sure, sacreligious perhaps, some might even say evil (I would argue at that...it's only evil if you allow it to effect your heart. I just like the heavy music and when I'm in the mood, the dark lyrics, and then I move on). I've also been known to blissfully close my eyes for the entire 10 minutes of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" and to bop around the living room to Asleep At The Wheel's "Miles and Miles of Texas". So there.

Speaking of Frank Zappa...I recently introduced Andrew to Frank's unique genre of music. Yes, Frank gets his own genre. As far as descriptions go, I would agree to juvenile, strange, even stupid where lyrics are concerned. But I would also include genius, virtuoso, original, inventive, clever.



Sure his lyrics are often straight from the mind of a 6-year-old (ex: "Watch out where the huskies go/And don't you eat that yellow snow") which is how I knew Andrew would appreciate Frank. But his musicianship is so clever, his wit is razor-sharp, his sense of timing exquisite, and his guitar-playing virtuosic.

One of Frank's wittier (and near and dear to my heart) songs is called "I'm The Slime". As relevant today as it was in the 70's, it basically speaks to the evils of television. Andrew quizzed me a bit on the lyrics and I explained that the "slime" was a metaphor for the vacuous nature of television. Of course I had to explain metaphor, which he seemed to grasp quite well. As the next Frank track came on, "Stink Foot", Andrew asked, "Papa, what is this a metaphor for?" To which I had to reveal the truth: some of Frank's songs are as vacuous as televison sitcoms.

For those really interested, here are the lyrics for Slime:

I am gross and perverted/I'm obsessed 'n deranged
I have existed for years/But very little has changed
I'm the tool of the Government/And industry too
For I am destined to rule/And regulate you
I may be vile and pernicious/But you can't look away
I make you think I'm delicious/With the stuff that I say
I'm the best you can get/Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozin' out From your TV set
You will obey me while I lead you/And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you/
Don't go for help . . . no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled/It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told/Until the rights to you are sold
That's right, folks . . .Don't touch that dial (background announcer)
Chorus
Well, I am the slime from your video/Oozin' along on your livin' room floor
I am the slime from your video/Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go
I am the slime from your video/Oozin' along on your livin' room floor
I am the slime from your video/Can't stop the slime, people, lookit me go

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home